Watched the video in first section by Thomsen and Craighead. As usual, when I start studying something that I am vaguely interested in I am blown away by the depth, the variety, the types of art that are out there. Although this was a short video, I found it helpful. 

    When I started studying poetry in depth I started exploring things that I would not have been drawn to. I have found in that venue that I do have strong likes and dislikes, but have also found that there are things I appreciate even if I don't "like" them, some poets I adore, and some I find just plain appalling. I suspect that this will be the case as I explore the realm of digital art. 

    My own personal journey with digital art has been with photo painting, and struggling to learn some of the software on my own. I am a bit cynical about being able to learn via an online course (I can always do Udemy), but we shall see. Photo painting remains my main interest, but so good to see what other folks are up to, and to realize that what I am interested in is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. And, it's always good to get myself out of my comfort zone.

    I have watched a couple of the modules. I am familiar with Dada and Fluxus through my creative writing, so those were an interesting reviews of those stellar (bur rather obscure) movements. I was unfamiliar with the work of Moholy-Nagy. Very interesting. His interest in  light and transparency really does foreshadow digital design. I am also interested - from a couple of the films posted - how performance art is considered to foreshadow digital art. Would love to see the machine he created (apparently for a theatre design?) that was a light show. Absolutely loved "Flexipede."  I hadn't thought of this for years, but my Dad created a video game back in the 1960's on his work computer (he worked at White Sands Missile Range on the US space program.)  I don't really remember the game, but I remember that he did it. This little short just made me realize how ahead of his time my Dad was. He was actually doing digital design when I was still playing with jacks. Pretty cool.

    So, I am looking forward to this exploration of digital art and design. I did not think my Dad would come up!!!

    On another note, I posted my "avatar," but it is a picture of a milkweed flower.  Hopefully it is okay that I did not post a photo of myself. I don't have anything current, and I am a bit phobic about my photos anyway. Don't like to have my picture taken. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog