Week of 9/13/2021

 The installation(s) of Rafael Lozano-Hemmer.  

Wowie.  I was fascinated by every aspect of his work. The most compelling message I heard from him was his thoughts on his own privilege. This is something I struggle with. While I am not male, I am white. I am bisexual, but you can't tell that by looking at a person (and I don't go around advertising it...) so I am, by definition, privileged. It is a huge problem. How to help with a problem that I see but by definition I am part of the problem.  I was hugely moved by his comments: we have to try. 

I do have a problem with outdoor light installations. The light pollution bothers me...

Artistically, I feel so small next to a person of this stature. Hugely talented and with so much to say.  I am a child clutching a crayon....

Elements of Art/Principles of Design

Good review. 

Matthew Carter

Well, this was fun. Back in the old days I did typesetting (not type design) and I do remember some of the problems. We used to have to play with the kerning all the time. Can't even remember what the typesetter we used was...in printed out like a photo. Lot's of problems with many typefaces. This was a fun and interesting reverie.

John f Simon

I found this a little disjointed. I thought it interesting how he doodled to get to some of his pieces. Not very good images of his final work. Interesting but disjointed.

Jeffrey Shaw

This is one of those exhibits I wish I could do in person. I get the idea, but again, hard to see in this format. Aside from the presentation, what an interesting project. 

Erwin Redl

Really interesting light installations (but see note above about outdoor installations). My favorite was the Hole and my favorite view was the overview with the door on the background. That just seemed...I don't know, interesting. 

Adobe Capture

Okay, this was a most frustrating exercise...

Copying the files from my iPhone to the desktop took an act of God. I could not figure out a simple way to do this, and this exercise increased my sense of cynicism when it comes to Creative Cloud. I can't simply download my files onto my computer, but must export each individually. Finding the libraries are like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. (And even when I find them they are only good using Adobe products. What if I wanted to use this in Painter? An app I use very frequently...saving these files locally would be a necessity. And brutally difficult from what I can tell.) I really hated this exercise, and it really increased my wariness regarding having something that is entirely dependent on someone else's "cloud."  It took me hours to figure out how to export the files. I ended up having to take a screenshot of the "look" because all I could download was a photo of three people that showed me a preview. Was this what I was supposed to show?  I am sorry, but I don't get this.

That said, the app itself would be cool if it was easier to work with in my workflow. I remember tracing things back in the day. But, this app is only as good as the photo you have to work with. I played with a bunch of different photos and images. I could see using the shapes on this.  Not sure I would mess much with the looks part. I get a lot more flexibility out of something like Aurora HDR. Making patterns is fun, and although I don't know how I would use it, who knows?  I personally liked the brushes.  That one has some interesting ideas and uses. I know we did not do that but I liked it. 

The limitations of this app are pretty strong. Fun to play with, but I am not sure in the long run it would be useful, unless I am missing something in the workflow.  Again, it is only as good as the photo or image you are working with. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog