Week of September 27. 2021

Fun review of the various types of photography. I am always amazed at the wonderful photos that are available to view. The digital age certainly has its advantages. Like the printing press, it makes so much available to see. (Too bad people spend so much time on junk when there is so much beauty to see...) As I mentioned in my Photo examples assignment, I like many of these categories already. I am inspired to do something more with still life, but I am really turned off by product photography: I don't need anyone to sell me anything else. 

This was a very dense week. It took me a while to get through all the videos. 

Charles Csuri

This work was interesting. Again, cool to see the evolution of animation in this way. 

The work of Nancy Burson was fascinating. Took me a while to get through this, as the narrator put me to sleep. I remember the milk cartons. Had no idea where those aging photos came from. Very cool to know. 

The Technocultures Symposium was also really hard to listen to. I just did not find the lectures or interviews stimulating. Still...I was not surprised to find that mathematicians were behind so much of the early animation and digital art. Dad  would appreciate that. I did like Knolton's work using different shapes to create portraits. Quite different from the composite portraits of Nancy Burson. The use of computers to analyze the Mona Lisa was...really interesting. Not sure I buy it, but it's an interesting theory.

Robert Rauschenberg...

 is a very cool artist. I am a little familiar with his work, but this really opened up the doors...the video was short, so I looked him up on the internet and found his foundations webpage. Has examples of his work spanning his lifetime. Very interesting and inspiring.

Jia Jia Fei

Interesting take on social media and art. Very well spoken, very convincing. 

Team KIDing

Was able to find their advertising series I Love Calpe, but not much else. I wasn't clear how to find them. If it is on Instagram, I don't have an account. The ad series was interesting. I love the mockery here. 

Paul Smith

Wow. Just wow. Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover. What an amazing artist this man was.  I really enjoyed watching this. Loving the exposure this class is offering.

Anna Palakunnathu Matthew

Love her work. Her background and philosophy were moving, and her work is really wonderful. Very inspirational to see what these women are doing. 

Ken Gonzales-Day

Some really interesting projects. I looked him up on his website. Would love to see better photos of his work. Reminds me of what Jia Jia Fei was saying...making these works accessible. Still, his Erased Lynching project is stunning. Would love to see it in its entirety and in person.

Past and Present of Photography

Very fun view of the history of photography. I have played a bit with camera obscura, but not sure I have the patience to do what this speaker does. I do think we lose the history sometimes. Like he said, if you grew up in the 90's you haven't a clue. Digital is everything now. But interesting that his "Gladys" does 820 mp.  

David Hockney

"How do we challenge the tyranny of the camera's monocular vision."

His collages were intriguing. It is true that the camera only sees one dimension, and these were a great way to deconstruct an image. Makes the mind kind of turn around what we are seeing in a photograph. I looked at his website as well and his oeuvre is pretty extraordinary. His Grand Canyon work is really spectacular, both the photography and the painting. Again, love the exposure we are getting in this class.

Fine Art Photography

Very good info. Makes me glad I am not trying to start a career...just interested in doing this because I want to. Makes no difference if I am successful or not. LOL. 

Center for Creative Photography

Would love to visit....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog